- Why is evolution called a theory?
- Give three of Darwin's evidence that evolution has occurred.
- How was the age of the earth determined?
- What did Darwin believe was the major driving force in evolution?
- If the frequency of gene N to gene n is 0.6 to 0.4, how many NN, Nn, and
nn would you expect in 100 000 people, assuming Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium?
- Give four reasons for evolutionary change.
- What is successful adaptation?
- Why isn't life forming from non-life today?
- Evolution is called a theory because a theory is a hypothesis that is
supported by a great deal of evidence, and that is what evolution is.
- Fossils -Extinct species resemble living species, Progressive
changes in characteristics of organisms can be seen in different layers of
rock. Geographical Distribution -Lands with similar climates have
more unrelated plants and animals, Plants and animals of each continent are
distinctive. Oceanic Islands - Species are very unique and show
relation to other species, Species show similarities to those on nearby
- The age of the earth was determined by studying rates of radioactive
- Natural selection
- NN - 36% or 36 000 Nn - 48% or 48 000 nn - 16% or 16 000
- Genetic drift, gene flow, mutation, non-random mating, and natural
- An increase in fitness.
- Life isn't forming from non-life because it is a different environment,
there is less energy, and organic molecules aren't building up.